My husband and I love Thai food! I have made curries of all different types but during the weekdays I like to make something that is quick, healthy and delicious! The keyword here is QUICK!!! Here is a recipe that I created that I use during the weeknights when we are craving some Thai food.
Thai Tofu and Veggie Stir Fry
14 oz. package Firm Tofu, cubed
2 large garlic cloves, chopped or grated
1 each Red and Yellow pepper (any color you like really), seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 onion, roughly chopped
1 small container Cremini, Baby Bella or White Button mushrooms, quartered
3-4 T rice wine vinegar
2 T Ponzu citrus soy sauce
2 T Thai Garden seasoning mix (from World Market)
1/3 cup (or more) Thai Peanut Sauce (I used Archer Farms from Target)
1. Start out by marinating the tofu. To do this, press out the excess water from the big brick of tofu - place tofu brick in a clean kitchen towel or a couple of paper towels on a plate. Place a frying pan and a couple of cans on top to help press out the excess liquid from the tofu. Remove from towel after 5-10 minutes. Cut tofu brick in half yielding 2 mini bricks. Then cut each half into 20 cubes (4 cuts on short side, 5 cuts on longer side).
2. Place cubed tofu in shallow container. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp Thai Garden seasoning mix, 2 T rice wine vinegar, and 2 T soy sauce - swish around, cover and place in fridge for a couple of hours.
3. In a small saute pan over medium heat, place 1 T Grapeseed or Olive Oil. Place strained tofu in saute pan (reserve liquid for stir fry). Saute/brown for 15 minutes - turning cubes to help brown on all sides.
4. In another saute pan over med heat, place 1 T Grapeseed or Olive oil. Add chopped/grated garlic and allow to saute for a couple of minutes, or until fragrant. Add all veggies (onion, peppers, mushrooms). Saute for 4 minutes. Add 1 T Thai seasoning mix and continue to stir fry for about 10 minutes.
5. Add browned tofu to stir fried veggies. Add marinating liquid and cook for a couple of minutes. Lastly, add 1/3 - 1/2 cup Thai Peanut Sauce (or as much as you want) and coat all veggies/tofu. Cook for another couple of minutes.
Serve on a bed of quinoa and voila - a delish, healthy, high protein and nutritious meal ready in about 20 minutes. Enjoy....