Vietnamese Spring Rolls
For the Filling
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 medium carrot, cut into matchsticks (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 small cucumber, cut into matchsticks (3/4 cup)
- Pour boiling water over vermicelli rice noodles and soak 15 minutes. Drain and rinse. Divide into 8 equal portions. Fill a wide, shallow bowl with cool water. Working with one spring-roll wrapper at a time, soak until pliable, 20 seconds. Transfer to a flat surface and smooth.
- Place a layer of fillings on bottom third of wrapper, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border. Top with a portion of noodles and another layer of fillings.
- Fold bottom of wrapper tightly over fillings.
- Roll over once, tuck in sides, and finish rolling. If desired, add 3 fresh chives and continue rolling to enclose them. Transfer roll to a plate and cover with a slightly damp paper towel. Repeat to make 8 summer rolls. Serve immediately with dipping sauces, or refrigerate, up to 2 hours.
Creamy Peanut Dipping Sauce
Everyday Food, July/August 2010
- 1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 limes)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- In a medium bowl, whisk together peanut butter and water until smooth. Whisk in lime juice, soy sauce, and sugar. Sprinkle peanuts over sauce just before serving.