January 2012 box is titled "Clarity" and the theme is to start the new year out with clarity - to focus "on bringing clarity to every aspect of our lives - from our minds to our beauty regimen" as stated on the index card provided in the box. I will provide the description of each sample as stated on the card as well as my brief review.
The five samples in this month's box are:
1) Algenist - Firming and Lifting Cream - "Turn back the clock with this sophisticated moisturizer, which uses a unique microalgae compound to boost skin's elasticity".
-For starters, this moisturizer has an odd consistency - not quite creamy, kind of gelatinous (duh - it has a "microalgae compound" in it) but once you smooth your finger across the surface with a little bit of pressure, your finger will pick up some product and it ends up creamy on your face. It does a good job moisturizing my skin but I can comment on it's ability to "boost skin's elasticity". I think to see those results you would need to use it for many months and I'm not sure how many months my sample will last, but with a retail price of $94.00, I'm not sure if I'll use it long enough to see the results (not to mention that I like my Olay Regenerist line which is way more affordable with the same desired results).
2) FIX Malibu - Immaculate Complexion Smoothing Serum - "This clever serum is on our skincare honor roll. Antioxidant-rich vitamins A, C, and E brighten skin tone and soften wrinkles".
-First off, I love the smell of this product - it smells very fresh and almost melon-y (if that makes any sense to you). I think it's too soon to tell if it really "softens wrinkles" but it definitely does feel amazing on my skin - it feels so soft that I want to keep massaging it into my skin some more. I'm not sure if I would buy the full size product given the price of $125.00 but I have enjoyed sampling this product. I especially love to use this serum and follow up with my Josie Maran Argan Oil.
3) Juicy Couture - Juicy Couture fragrance - "Juicy's signature fragrance is a blend of sweet floral notes. Sophisticated and feminine, it's perfect for day and night".
-I absolutely love this fragrance! I already have a larger sample of this perfume and I have loved this one for quite awhile and have seriously contemplated buying the full size perfume. Receiving this sample and wearing just reinforces my desire to buy this perfume and now I think that I'll have to go out and get it soon. I love that it smells so feminine, floral and fresh.
4) Zoya - Nail Polish in Kendal - "A sweet cream periwinkle, this on-trend neutral from Zoya's new Feel Collection will take you from winter to spring".
-This is a beautiful polish color. I'm not one to wear nail polish on my fingers but I always have my toenails polished. I think this a gorgeous color for Spring and Summer and can't wait to try it out.
5) 'witchcraft - Granola - "This toasty granola, from Top Chef judge Tom Colicchio's NY-based 'witchcraft chain, takes care of snack cravings without any guilt".
-I tried the small sample and I have to say, "Meh" - it was nothing special. I personally love my homemade granola (recipe found in earlier post on blog ) which is much more savory and sweeter than the 'witchcraft granola.
I hope that you busy mom's found this review helpful and that maybe you'll consider subscribing to Birchbox to try out new products. It's always important for us mom's to achieve clarity in all aspects of our lives - but most importantly within ourselves. Enjoy....